There are lots of different ways to make hash oil, but today, we’re going to cover making a quick wash hash oil.
QWISO (Quick Wash in Isopropyl alcohol) and QWET (Quick Wash in Ethyl alcohol) are the most common types of hash oil, simply because they are relatively easy to do at home.
In this tutorial, we’re going to use the QWET method. We’ll be using 95% food grade ethanol.
What You’ll Need
- 95% or higher grain alcohol
- ground cannabis (we’re using about 3.5 grams, but you can use as much as you want)
- 2 glass mason jars – big enough to fit all of your ground herb
- a Stainless Steel mesh strainer – about the size of a coffee filter
- a container that your strainer fits into
- Something to stir with (I used a spoon)
- unbleached coffee filters
- Reynolds nonstick aluminum foil
- parchment paper
- A clock or a timer
1) Get your cannabis ready. If you’re using flower, grind it to a course grind. If you’re using trim or shake, you can skip grinding.
2) Put the cannabis in one of the mason jars. Don’t fill it more than 1/2 full.
3) Take the second mason jar and fill it with ethanol. Just about to the top.
4) Close both jars and put them in the freezer for at least 2 hours (long enough for a cup of water to freeze). You want both to be as cold as possible. This will help extract more cannabinoids as well as prevent junk from getting into the alcohol.
5) After your alcohol and cannabis are sufficiently chilled/ frozen, set up your container with your strainer and get 2 coffee filters ready (you’ll want 2 filters stuck together).
6) Get your timer ready.
7) Get both jars from the freezer and open them.
8) Start the timer for 1 minute.
9) Pour about 1/2 the alcohol into the jar with the frozen cannabis. The alcohol should just cover the cannabis.
10) For no more than 1 minute, swirl very gently. Just keep the alcohol moving around the herb. Stir very gently a couple of times (the key here is gentle! It doesn’t take much to get the cannabinoids out, and you want as little non cannabinoids as possible)
11) After the minute is up, pour the contents of the jar into the strainer. Some small particles will come through, but the goal here is to get the separate the alcohol from the herb.
The color should be yellow to very light green.
12) Put the cannabis back into the jar and put it back into the freezer (there’s still some cannabinoids in there. We’ll get back to that)
13) Clean your strainer and place 2 coffee filters inside of it.
14) Now strain the ethanol again, but this time, strain it thru the coffee filters.
15) Evaporate the alcohol
The easiest way to do this is to just leave it in a well ventilated area. The alcohol will eventually evaporate, leaving hash oil.
To speed up evaporation, you can:
– Add a fan
– add heat (no more than 200 degrees F)
– spread the alcohol over a large area, like a smooth bottomed glass cooking pan
For this step, we use a sheet of non stick aluminum foil with the edges folded up so the liquid is contained.
The sheet of foil is over a heat source with a fan blowing, and only takes about 20 minutes to evaporate. Leaving only the cannabis oil.
16) Once the oil becomes viscous and sticky, remove it from the heat. Let it cool some, then put the foil it in the freezer for about 30 seconds.
17) Use a dab tool to collect all the oil. With the cold oil should come right off of the foil (just like parchment paper).
18) Collect all the oil and transfer it to a piece of parchment paper for temporary storage, or to a glass oil container for long term storage.
That’s it! Enjoy your QWISO / QWET hash!
If you have any questions or improvements to the process, please post a comment below!
Hi, fellow MJ Geeks! Just wanted to share an awesome new social platform called Smoke.io. Think of it as kind of like Instagram, Youtube, or Reddit. Except with one difference.
When you post good cannabis content on Smoke you DON'T get banned. You actually get rewarded with Smoke. A crypto currency like Bitcoin that you can actually redeem for USD.
Check it out and make sure follow and say hello @mjgeeks!